As a professional, as an adult, you should have it made. You’re a leader, an influencer, an everyday hero. Perhaps you’re a parent or caregiver, an active and hard-working student or entrepreneur, or someone with a big heart who isn’t afraid of taking life by the reins. People listen to you and admire you. You are well-known and well-liked by your peers, respected and held in high regard by many in your community.
You make adult life look easy and effortless.
Yet, deep down, you know it’s all a balancing act. In fact, you don’t have any special superpowers that protect you from bad things happening. When you’re in a tough situation, when you’re feeling down, when you’re unsure of yourself – people often assume that you’re bulletproof. That any turmoil you may experience just falls away like water off a duck’s back. So you continue to live up to your name and people’s expectations of you. But you’re actually stuck and struggling. And maybe you even feel embarrassed and afraid of asking for help.
Does this sound like you?
- Always setting yourself high expectations and aim for perfection in many areas of your life
- Taking responsibility for a lot of things including people’s reactions and their feelings which sometimes leads you to wonder “Should I have…”
- Avoiding, pushing away and denying negative thoughts and feelings because you believe you’re “better and stronger than this”
You know better, but…
It’s impossible to be strong all the time but you hate feeling weak, frail and vulnerable. Without warning, different life events, relationships or memories can shake your confidence. For example, at times you may feel overwhelmed by your commitments and responsibilities. Something reminds you of a past traumatic experience. Someone you care deeply about is no longer around. When life pulls the rug from under your feet, like everyone else, you take a tumble. It’s times like these when it’s necessary to get support, to take time to recover.
Become Your Authentic Self
If you ignore or cover up your pain and hurt with a plaster and a forced smile, you’ll likely go on hurting. When you mask your true feelings and push your emotions aside, you appear ‘fine’ on the outside but underneath you feel troubled, confused and alone. Letting your emotions eat you up inside depletes your energy, confidence and self-belief. In fact, not caring and tending to yourself when you need the most help will make you weak. Taking the courage to admit you’re not strong all the time and finding ways to help yourself will make you stronger.
Counselling for Adults in London
In my counselling office, I create a unique therapy experience that considers the experiences that are unique to adults who are as ambitious, caring and passionate as you are. My counselling office a space just for you to work through past issues that may be holding you back from reaching your full potential. It’s a place to develop your strength and resilience so that you thrive in life (instead of just survive). We get to the core of what causes you the most stress. Oftentimes, we will include one or more ways of working in the following approaches:
Trauma Therapy for Adults –
- Trauma Therapy helps you process direct trauma and indirect trauma so you can feel stronger and more resilient in the face of trauma.
Stress and Burnout Therapy for Adults –
- Stress and Burnout Therapy helps you look at the various stressors from work and how you can lead a more balancing life.
Relationship Therapy for Adults –
- Relationship Therapy helps you leave work at work so you’re fully present when you’re at home. Repair your relationships and strengthen your bonds with your nearest and dearest.
Dramatherapy for Adults –
- Dramatherapy helps you express and process what gets trapped in your mind and body so you can be free in your thoughts and feelings.
What exactly should I expect from therapy?
Therapy for Adults helps address:
- anxiety and depression
- childhood issues
- low self-worth and low self-esteem
- relationship issues
- stress and burnout
Therapy for Adults helps you:
- release and express anxiety and worrying thoughts, feelings and actions
- process stressful and traumatic issues from your past
- build inner-strength and resilience from within
Begin Therapy for Adults in Central London
“Adulting” can be difficult. But, you don’t have to do it alone. You can get the help you need and I would be honoured to be the person to help you. When you are ready, follow these simple steps:
- Schedule your free, 20-minute phone consultation.
- Work with a confidential, non-judgemental therapist who puts you and your mental health first.
- Recover your inner strength and become the best version of yourself.
Other YTherapy Counselling Services
During sessions in my Angel and Farringdon therapy offices, I work will all sorts of professionals. Often, these professionals are from helping professions of some type. Individuals from these fields often include first responders, health and social care workers and coaches, counsellors and therapists. Helping others full-time can take its toll. As a former first responder in prisons, I am well-aware of the realities and stressors that certain professions have. If one of these specialities would be helpful for you, please reach out today.
Latest Articles about Adults and Mental Health
Source: Psychology Today | Published on 23 July 2019
Source: BBC | Published on 22 July 2019
Source: PsychCentral | Published on 4 June 2019
Source: Welldoing | Published on 4 February 2019